Our attorneys at Santa Clara Law Group are committed to providing you with first rate legal representation while educating you about every step of the case and what you can expect. We approach every client with a focus on integrity, advocacy, and understanding. We fight for you intelligently and strive to have a balanced approach that includes both litigation and the clear need for a fair compromise and settlement when possible.
Nick F. Forooghi, Managing Partner
Mr. Forooghi is the founding member, managing shareholder and our senior attorney. In that capacity he is involved in several areas of practice. They include primarily Family Law matters from inception through trials when necessary, mediation, financial and asset divisions arising from dissolution of marriage (divorce cases). Nick also handles select civil matters, including Personal Injury cases [plaintiff], business related matters, contracts [draft/review], and buy-sell transactions. He also serves as the supervising attorney for our SSA practice [Social Security Disability and other SSA benefits]. His work takes him to both our San Jose and Capitola (Santa Cruz County) offices.
“Representing a client in any legal matter is a balancing act; a “cost benefit” analysis. While we do not have a crystal ball to see the future, an attorney must use all his skill and training to project and assess chances of achieving results for every client. Whether it is negotiating to reach an agreement, or making arguments in court, the focus is always the overall best interest of the client”. – Nick Forooghi
Mr. Forooghi has represented clients primarily in Santa Clara and Santa Cruz county courts and also the other Bay Area counties including Monterey, Alameda, San Mateo, Contra Costa, San Francisco, and San Benito.
Nick’s established Santa Clara Law Group, APC in November 2009 and worked as a law clerk at a local law firm from 2003 through 2006 and as an attorney in that same firm through October of 2009. He started a concurrent solo practice since 2007 before establishing SCLG.
Outside of the Practice
Mr. Forooghi is also a passionate teacher and academician. He currently serves as the Associate Dean of Academics and a Professor of Law at Lincoln Law School in San Jose, California. He counsels law students and has taught the subject of “Remedies” to graduating classes of the school (4L) from 2007 to 2011, “Personal Property Law” to 2L students till 2014, and “Laws of Agency” presently. He also offers a course in Advanced Legal Ethics at Lincoln. In 2016, Nick was appointed as a Faculty member at University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry in San Francisco where he has been a guest lecturer since 2008.
Mr. Forooghi is an active member, participant or former participant in the following professional, community, and educational concerns:
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Santa Clara County Bar Association Executive Committee Member–Solo & Small Firm Section
- SCCBA (2007-2009)
- Associate Dean of Academics and a faculty member–Lincoln Law School of San Jose, California (2007-Present)
- Faculty–University of the Pacific, Arthur A. Dugoni School of Dentistry (2016); Guest Lecturer, “Malpractice & Dentistry” (2007-Present)
- Northern California ‘s Chapter of IABA.
Prior to practice of law, Nick built a solid career as a professional manager in a Hi-Tech/start-up company and then co-owned and operated a dynamic and successful consumer goods manufacturing/importing company in Santa Clara, CA, for over a dozen years from 1991 to 2003. He is admitted to the State Bar of California, and licensed to practice in California courts and the United States District Court, Northern District of California. Nick is a proud graduate of San Jose State University and has lived in Silicon Valley/Bay Area since 1977.
Grey R. Cohen, of Counsel
Mr. Cohen specializes in Litigation, Criminal Trials; including jury trials, major felonies, and also Family Law litigation.
He is one of the most well known, referred to, and admired attorneys in the Santa Cruz County, and has also been taking on cases in other counties in the Bar Area, including Contra Costa and San Francisco.
Although our practice is not limited to Family Law matters, it is noteworthy to state how proficient, fearless and yet caring Mr. Cohen is in his approach to serving his Family Law clients.
- Most recently Mr. Cohen has represented defendants in major felony criminal cases, while he continues to handle family law matters. He served as co-counsel in a felony murder trial in Los Angeles County, and a jury trial in San Mateo County.
- Prior to his years as an attorney, for over seven years, Grey Cohen gained the invaluable experience of working for the Superior Courts of California, as a legal process clerk, in the California Superior Courts for the Counties of Humboldt, Contra Costa and Santa Cruz.
- Grey attended John F. Kennedy School of Law and completed his Juris Doctoral program in that school.
- As a law student, he earned the prestigious Witkin Award for Academic Excellence in Constitutional Law, 2001, and Wills & Trusts 2003.
- He has served as an intern with Contra Costa District Attorney’s office in the Domestic Violence Prevention Unit and in 2002 he engaged internship at the Law office of Susan E. Christiansen, Certified Family Law Specialist in Fairfield, California.
- He then represented clients as and Associate Attorney, from May 2007 to June 2010, at the Law office Of Nick P. Barthel, Certified Family Law Specialist.
- Since January of 2008, in service to the community, as a volunteer counselor and attorney at law, Grey has served Pro-bono, as the “on call” attorney for the Walnut Avenue Women’s Center, in the City of Santa Cruz, Domestic Violence Prevention, while working as a solo practitioner.
- In March of 2011, Mr. Cohen joined Santa Clara Law Group.
Grey Cohen protects the best interest of his clients without compromise; with skill, intelligence, and integrity. We are proud to have him on our roster of attorneys in service of our clients and our communities.
Ms. Kompanian is the primary litigant in our Capitola office zealously representing clients in the Santa Cruz county courts in divorce and family law related matters.
She is a skilled advocate in the courtroom as well as a compassionate counselor who helps her clients navigate the emotionally charged and legally complex issues they face while going through a divorce.
She has rapidly become one of the most active and sought after young attorneys in Santa Cruz County in Family Law, Divorce and Child Custody cases; having worked on a variety of complex issues and serving our clients in Santa Cruz since she joined Santa Clara Law Group as an associate and soon thereafter as a full partner.
She attended the University of San Francisco as an undergraduate student, where she earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science with a minor in Legal Studies, and went on to attend Lincoln Law School of San Jose, where she obtained her Juris Doctor degree and graduated earning a place on the Dean’s List.
In her undergraduate years she interned at the San Francisco District Attorney’s office in the Consumer Complaint Department, and helped consumers reach agreements with various San Francisco businesses, landlords, and creditors.
While at Lincoln, Ms. Kompanian received several Academic Excellence Awards. They included award in Remedies, Wills and Trusts, and in Moot Court for having authored the best brief. She also served as the Articles Editor on the Lincoln Law Review., and won various scholarships including the Eugenia C. Liontas Scholarship which is awarded to the female student with the highest grade point average in the 2nd year of study of law at Lincoln.
During Law School, Ms. Kompanian was a law clerk at the Law Offices of Martin W. King. As a law clerk for Mr. King, Ms. Kompanian sat in and assisted with select felony criminal trials.
She joined the Santa Clara Law Group, APC as an associate and her quick mastery of family law litigation earned her partnership at the firm in 2014.
Outside of the Practice
Ms. Kompanian is a volunteer with the Alameda County Bar Association and Bay Area Legal as a pro bono attorney for victims of domestic violence and has also offered pro bono services at the Walnut Avenue Woman’s Shelter in Santa Cruz.